Fermented Bean Paste Ginger Chicken
30 mins 4 SERVINGS
- 1 Sadia Frozen Chicken Griller
- 5 Chinese dried mushrooms
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 100g old ginger
- 1 tbsp fermented bean paste (tau cho)
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ½ spring onion (cut into thin strips), optional
Preparation for chicken
- It is best to plan your meal a day ahead! Place the frozen chicken in a container at the bottom shelf of the refrigerator, away from other foods to avoid cross contamination.
- The container collects the thawed liquid which has to be poured away before cooking. Thawing the chicken in room temperature can allow bacteria to grow.
- Fill a small pot with 3 cups of water and let it boil. Meanwhile, chop the chicken into individual parts with a cleaver. Cut off excess fat at the lower parts of the chicken.
- Rub all the chicken parts with salt thoroughly and add them into the boiling water for 2 minutes. This is to wash away blood spots of the chicken. Scoop chicken parts in a bowl.
Preparation for other ingredients
- Wash the goji berries
- Soak the dried mushrooms in a bowl of water for 5-10 minutes. Pour away water, and slice mushrooms into thin strips.
- Peel the skin of the old ginger and chop it into small chunks. Smash ginger chucks with the pestle till the they are flattened and juice surfaces. Caution: Keep your eyes away from the mortar while pounding as the ginger juice may splash and hurt your eyes.
- Pour 2 tbsp sesame oil over chicken parts and toss them till they are evenly coated. Arrange them neatly on to a steaming plate.
- Mix pounded ginger, fermented bean paste, shaoxing wine, oyster sauce and the remaining sesame oil together. Spread the paste over the chicken parts.
- Add mushroom strips and goji berries on top of the chicken pieces. Steam them over medium heat for 12 minutes. Then lower the heat slightly for another 5 minutes. Use a fork or a chopstick to check whether the chicken parts are cooked and tender. If it pierces through the meat easily, turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle spring onions over the chicken parts. Serve it with rice and drizzle plenty of sauce over to savour!