Thai Style Chicken Wings
1 hr 4 SERVINGS
- 1kg Sadia Mid Joint Wings
Marinate for the chicken
- 2 lemon grass
- 8 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 seedless large lime
- 2 red padi (small red chilli)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sweet dark soya sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp white peppercorns (optional)
- 6-8 lime leaves (optional)
To serve (optional)
- 1 tbsp toasted white sesame seeds
- Chilli padi, chopped
- Coriander leaves, chopped
- 250g Indonesian green beans, whole
- 4 small cucumbers, lengthwise
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 fresh apricot, sliced
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Place frozen mid joint wings in a container, put them at the lower compartment of the refrigerator to thaw overnight. Open the bag of wings and set aside on a plate. Dispose thaw liquid away.
- Use only the bulb of the lemon grass (the white portion is usually tender) and grate them. It will be form approximately 1 teaspoon of grated lemongrass.
- Smash garlic cloves using the side of a cleaver. Do not remove garlic skins.
- Crush lime leaves to make the flavour and fragrance more potent.
Cooking directions (For the mid joint wings)
- Place mid joint wings into a Ziploc bag. Add marinade ingredients into the bag of wings. Seal it up. Shake and massage to season mid joint wings evenly. Marinade for a minimum of 30 minutes in the fridge. For a richer taste, leave in the fridge overnight.
- Remove mid joint wings, smashed garlic and lime leaves from the bag into a large bowl. Set aside 1/2 portion of marinate liquid in a separate bowl. Dispose ziploc bag and remaining marinade liquid.
- Add 30ml water portion and 3 tablespoons marinade liquid into a frying pan over medium high heat. (This process will destroy any harmful bacteria)
- Once marinade mixture starts boiling, add 10 mid joint wings to the pan (depending on how big is the pan). Let them cook for 3 minutes on one side, flip them over to cook for another 2 minutes. Add smashed garlic and lime leaves into the pan.
- Notice that the liquid starts to dry up after 5 minutes, turn to low heat and cook the wings for another 2 minutes on each side to achieve a slightly charred surface.
- Repeat step 2-4 for the remaining mid joint wings.
- Scoop mid joint wings on a serving plate, dispose charred garlic and lime leaves. Sprinkle white sesame seeds, small chilli and coriander leaves over the wings, if using.
Cooking directions (For the salad)
- While leaving the mid joint wings to marinade for at least 30 minutes, blanch green beans in a vegetable steamer for 10 minutes over medium, or until they soften.
- Combine all salad dressing in a bowl and whisk till almond butter clumps and Dijon mustard are mixed to liquid form.
- Drizzle salad dressing over salad ingredients, mix well. Serve it around Thai style chicken wings on a serving plate.
- Do not recycle or reuse marinate liquid used on raw meat once it has taken out at a room temperature over an extended period.
- Using a portion of marinade is safe for cooking, also remember to boil it first before adding raw poultry.