- 3 Sadia Chicken Boneless Leg (approx. 900g)
Marinate for the chicken
- 2 fresh tomatoes on vine
- 2 tbsp tomato puree (Hunt’s)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp water
For the soba
- 270g dry soba noodles, (approx. 1 packet)
- 1 cup frozen edamame beans
- ½ large yellow onion
- ½ bulb garlic
- ½ spring onion (optional)
- Take out 3 frozen chicken leg steaks from the packet and place them a Ziploc bag. Seal the packet and put remaining pieces in the freezer for future use. Place the Ziploc bag in a container and put it at the lower compartment of the refrigerator to thaw for 1 hour. Dispose thaw liquid away.
- Remove skin and fats from chicken leg steaks, and slice them in big chunks. (The size of chicken chunks will shrink when they are steamed)
- Put frozen edamame beans into the microwave oven for 2 minutes. Remove beans from pods. Set aside in a bowl.
- Cut tomato into chunks. Crush garlic cloves.
- Slice yellow onions and spring onions in thin strips.
- In a mixing bowl, pour in tomato chunks and chicken chunks.
- Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl. Pour into mixing bowl and add crushed garlic. Combine everything well.
- Place tomato chicken chunks into a steaming tray. Steam chicken over medium heat for 13-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill stock pot with 3 bowls of water over medium heat. Once it starts boiling, put in soba and cook for 5 minutes. Drain cooked soba noodles and put them in a bowl of ice water to cool the soba, this stops soba from cooking further. Use chopsticks to separate soba in strains.
- Portion soba, edamame beans, yellow onion strips in individual bowl. Scoop one ladle of steamed tomato chicken over soba. Garnish with spring onions to serve. Toss well and enjoy.
- Cook 5-6 minutes for thinner strains and or 7-8 minutes for thicker soba.